Baepler, Paul (ed), White Slaves, African Masters: An Anthology of American Capitivity Narratives (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1999).
From 1798 tale of John Foss, who was ransomed by Thomas Jefferson's administration for tribute totalling a sixth of the annual federal budget, to the story of Ion Perdicaris, whose (probably staged) abduction to Tangier in 1904 prompted Theodore Roosevelt to send warships to Morocco. [Reviewed in STW 4]
Publisher's webpage about this title.
- Search for this item at google.com
- Search for this item at goodreads.com
- Search for this item at COPAC: the merged online catalogues of 24 major university research libraries in the UK and Ireland plus the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, and the National Library of Wales/Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru.
- Search for this item at WorldCat: the world's largest network
of library content and services
- Search for this item at isbndb.com
filed under: anthologies
in Travel Writing (journal)
for Travel Writing Studies (Nottingham Trent University)