Babb, Genie, '"Preserv[ing] the Freshness of the System": itineraries of the Body in Alexander Bain's Rhetoric of Travel', Symbiosis, Vol 8 No 1 (2004), pp. 63-76.
A fascinating account of the travel writing of the Scottish polymath Alexander Bain. It makes not 'home' but 'travel' 'a central metaphor for how the mind functions, and "travel writing" [a] paradigm for effective communication." Powerful impliations for conceptualising transatlantic exchange are implied in her account of Bain's revolutionary compound of rhetoric, psychology and travel narrative.
- Search for this item at google.com
- Search for this item at goodreads.com
- Search for this item at COPAC: the merged online catalogues of 24 major university research libraries in the UK and Ireland plus the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, and the National Library of Wales/Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru.
- Search for this item at WorldCat: the world's largest network
of library content and services
- Search for this item at isbndb.com
filed under: studies of single traveller or author
in Travel Writing (journal)
for Travel Writing Studies (Nottingham Trent University)